Salesforce is one of the top CRM tools most modern businesses use. Its benefits are quite obvious and straightforward and it can rapidly grow your business. However, you must learn how to use Salesforce and it’s various features if you want to harness the full potential of this sales and marketing package. One of the tasks you should learn is how to create a master-detail relationship in Salesforce.
When to use a Master-Detail Relationship
There are various instances when master detail relationship is needed. For instance, if you want a given record to be a child of an existing member record, then using master-detail relationship is your best method of identifying the relationship and organizing your lookup. Although achieving different tasks may seem daunting especially if you have limited knowledge of using the package, you can always find a good Salesforce training material to help you out. So how do you create a master-detail relationship?
Steps for How to Create a Master-Detail Relationship in Salesforce
In order to understand how to end up with a master-detail relationship within your records, you must first ask yourself what is Salesforce exactly and then you will begin to understand what such a record does for your business. As earlier stated, Salesforce is a customer relationship management tool that is designed to help businesses streamline their sales and marketing framework, find new leads and increase the power of reporting. A master-detail is done for various kinds of records.
Consider the following:
1. You have two separate objects; client and order. You want the order object to be a child of the client object so that each client can have multiple orders. In this case, you need to define a master detail relationship. Use the following steps;
2. Go to Order object, select the Custom-Fields-&-Relationships section then click on New.
3. Select Master Detail Relationship and click on Next. Select Client object in the Related-To field and click on Next.
4. Fill in all the required details and click on Next. The fields should be visible in all the profiles since you already set it as a master-detail relationship.
5. Click on Next and then Next again before finally clicking on Save. You can now go back to the objects to see whether you successfully implemented the master-detail relationship.
You may experience some problems trying to create master-detail relationship if you have a custom object record that already exists. In this case, try deleting all the records on the child object and then set the master detail relationship before adding these details. You can also consider creating a lookup relationship where you map all the records in the child object on their parent records and then changing the lookup relationship to master detail.
It is important to learn how to use Salesforce if you want to harness all its benefits. The package has several features that can help reduce your task load and efforts, but this will only be possible once you master how to take advantage of the features therein. Fortunately, you will find Salesforce training material for most of the activities and tasks including how to create a master-detail relationship in Salesforce. The above steps are for simple master-detail relationships. Where more custom objects and records are involved, you may have other extra steps to perform before ending with your desired relationship.