In this tutorial, we will discuss how to create an email template in Salesforce. Simply put, Salesforce is a cloud-based customer relationship management (CRM) application. It helps to make tracking, conversations and other business oriented account information much easier to manage. Salesforce offers different ways to streamline communication from business organizations to their clients and prospects. One of the most effective tools of this software is undoubtedly creating email templates in Salesforce. This function goes a long way in allowing users to efficiently reach out to their organization’s contacts.
To sweeten the possibilities, these Salesforce email template can be dispatched simultaneously to a specific number of recipients. So then, the following is a brief tutorial on how to create an email template in Salesforce in a totally stress-free manner.
The Basics of Creating Salesforce Email Templates
The first item to cover in this Salesforce training material is what you need to understand prior to creating email templates in Salesforce. To begin with, there are generally 4 options available for you. These are text emails, HTML emails, HTML emails with letterheads or Visualforce emails. When it comes to how to send mass email in Salesforce, only simple text emails and HTML emails support this feature. On the other hand, only HTML and Visualforce email templates that permit inserting images into their texts. It is also important for you to know that only the HTML templates support the tracking function. You can then determine when the recipient has received them and just how frequently they have looked them over. A simple text email does not support tracking, which makes it susceptible to be filtered by your recipients’ anti-spamming applications.
One caveat, some knowledge of the Visualforce script is necessary for any customization, and these Salesforce email templates may not exceed 1MB in size regardless the account type. “Customize Application” must be enabled to create custom email templates.
For those who do not wish to use Visualforce and would rather use the boxed templates included with creating email templates in Salesforce, a wizard is available.
How to Create an Email Template in Salesforce
- Navigate to the arrow next to your username. Click Setup->Email->My Templates. Or, if you have permission to edit public templates, click Setup->Communication Templates->Email Templates.
- Click “New Template”.
- You may now use the wizard if you prefer, but otherwise, click “Visualforce” and then click “Next”.
- Select the folder where the Salesforce email templates will be stored. It is important to choose a folder with a moderately short path so that your template remains easy to find and well saved, otherwise the template may be lost or overwritten unintentionally at a later time.
- Select the “Available For Use” checkbox if you wish for this template to be offered to other users as well.
- Provide the “Email Template Name” field with the name you wish to give the template.
- You may now be required to change the “Template Unique Label”. If so do so, but otherwise, simply ignore it. This exists to discern templates that may have the same name otherwise in the database. Think of them like table keys.
- You now must determine the encoding you wish to use for character sets. Standard English uses ASCII, but others such as Asian or Cyrillic languages may need one of the Unicode sets. Consult your tech department if you are unsure.
- Provide a description for the template, which will allow it to be distinguished by yourself and other users later. This along with the unique label helps otherwise similar templates stand out from one another with little frustration.
- Provide the data for the “Email Subject”, “Recipient” and “Related To” fields. “Related To” is optional, but it’s standard procedure to provide something for this field. If you so desire, you can also utilize the merge fields option. This feature lets you define some personalized elements for each of your recipients, which can be their name or any other contact information you want to include in your email.
- Click “Save” and then “Edit Template”.
- Enter the Visualforce markup for the template. Visualforce is very simplistic, about on the level of HTML. There are many references and examples available online to simply this process.
- Click “Save” once more.
Conclusion for Creating Email Templates in Salesforce
As you can see, the process of how to create an email template in Salesforce is relatively simple. And depending on your particular needs, you can be able to make use of the right email template option. The method described above about how to create an email templates Salesforce is a lengthier process than some of the other tasks in Salesforce. Without the wizard it does seem a bit complicated, but not hard. Using the wizard will help you to omit the Visualforce aspect and start creating email templates in alesforce right away.
In 13 steps we have learned how to create email templates Salesforce.